Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pear and Quail Eggs

"Pear and Quail Eggs" 8x8 oil on board, ©Laura Gable
A sweet little still life in the studio, painting quail eggs and a pear revealed a delightful light blue shadow on the front egg.

This brings to mind the lovely little quail that frequent our yard during the year. With their various calls and there floppy top-nots, they are a treat to see and hear. One call in particular reminds me oddly of "Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!!" from the old Lost in Space TV program I watched as a child. It's an urgent high pitched call, obviously indicating they are feeling threatened. Yesterday on my walk, I spied the neighbor's black and white kitty hiding in the sagebrush. Eventually there was a ruckus of urgent calls with a scuttling about, and several quail flew low across the road into a nearby arborvitae. The kitty wasn't quite as stealthy as she thought she was, as the birds found refuge elsewhere. I'm not sure if they were nesting there in the sage, but I have occasionally come across there speckled little eggs tucked into soft places on the ground. Little treasures like these are a joy to find.

Today's quote is on my bulletin board at home, and I see it often when I look up from the computer:

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, 
Speaks to us in our conscience, 
but shouts in our pains. 
It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world." 
--CS Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?