Saturday, January 18, 2014

Tempest

"Tempest" oil paint and cold wax medium on 9x12 golden gessoed board, ©Laura Gable 
Today's goal is be expressive and try new techniques. I've been experimenting with cold wax medium for a bit and still have a lot to learn. When mixed about 50-50 with oil paint, it can be worked in layers. The wet or dry layers can be manipulated with scratching tools, and the paint sometimes goes on with knife, spatula or brayer. It gets messy.  Today I introduced oil pastels for the squiggly strokes (some blended with fingertips), added more white mixed with wax, and scratched through dried color. The bright gold tones peeking through is the base coat of gold gesso.

It's great for experimental work, the "fat over lean" philosophy can be ignored. When dry, it can be buffed when totally dry for a waxy look.

Even though this is non-representational I see the suggestions of a landscape back in there, so I chose "Tempest" for the title. I love the word. It's my grandmother's middle name. She was a force to be reckoned with.

4 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. Reminds me a bit of old walls that have been repainted several times and all the layers are crumbling away to reveal several different beautiful colors together.

    http://saundersartistblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your use of color and fabulous texture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sheila, Guin Sanders and Susan. This has been a very fun process. The next post will detail a bit more about the steps of the process. I

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?