Sunday, July 27, 2008

Light Bearers

This painting started as a companion piece to the previous posting "Windows of the Soul". Sunflowers lived in my studio for a while - in their normal spot on the still life table...their heads turned from me in such a coy and aloof manner. Below them a bright head screamed for attention. Look at me! She was hiding just beneath the other's sage toned leaf. The entire image was stylized a bit, emphasizing a much happier feeling than the last painting. And the white dove was added upon the suggestion of my student. The entire painting reveals such strong feelings of peace and joy. Does the dominant flower remind you of the Statue of Liberty's torch held upright—imprisioned lightning? 
"Give me your tired, your poor,
your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
(Emma Lazarus 1849-1887)

oil on canvas
24 x 36
Available for Sale $1,700

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?