Friday, February 14, 2014

Paper Birch Bouquets (sold)

"Paper Birch Bouquets" 12x12 oil on board, ©Laura Gable
Our snowfall was quite lovely this past week, starting on a very frigid evening. But all together we had a little over 6-8 inches over 3 days, a rarity in this eastern dry shrub-steppe region of Washington state. My attempts to paint out of doors yielded a small study, which I evolved further in the studio. I'd like to say this was painted fully on site, but much studying of the scene was done at later times using my super powers of observation. Well anyway, it was a lovely scene on a overcast day of these soft shadows and paper birch trees clumped together like bouquets.

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely! The blues and violets are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa. I've been studying "white" lately, and how to portray. That's what I loved about your snowy owl!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?