Sunday, July 22, 2012

"Well Worn"

"Well Worn" 6x6" oil painting on board, ©Laura Gable
When I visited my folks in Nebraska recently, I was taken with their simple, ordinary ways which makes them who they are. I've always liked the way my Dad sets aside his old boots in this same little spot in the bathroom next to his sink. Inside there's a pair of his white socks all rolled up and tucked away. Everything's together and ready for the next wearing. 

I recall my Grandpa wore similar boots back in the 60's. I'm sure he tucked them away in the same manner as my Dad does. In almost every memory of him, he was wearing these big boots. He shuffled when he walked, and had a heavy step. You could always hear him coming and with a booming voice as he entered the room.

So for today, a melancholy small painting to share, and a sweet reminiscence of these two great men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?