Monday, July 21, 2014

Signs of Americana (sold)

"Signs of Americana" 8x8 oil on board, ©Laura Gable, SOLD
My family owned this motel on the edge of town where I grew up in Nebraska. We enjoyed the common scent of fresh soap, and crisp linens. My siblings and I were the maids - each with a different chore from bed making, dusting, vacuuming and bathroom cleaning. My Dad would often leave coins under the beds and in the drawers to see how well we checked things. While the 6 small dark wood lined rooms were often occupied by travelers along the Lincoln Highway, some truck drivers and many harvesters came during wheat season. Many of our renters were frequent visitors, and friendships were formed. We would fill up during the summers, especially the end of July when people would stop on their way to the "Grand Daddy of them All" Cheyenne Frontier Days 100 miles away. The whole town would fill up and room rates would double. Not fancy, but always clean. It was our home and many memories and funny stories were born here.

This sweet painting went to a new home today. A brand new home, in fact. which is almost completed and custom built by the owners. It will be decorated mid-century modern. I'm sure this painting will be a great addition to this lovely new home.

2 comments:

  1. Loved your story behind your sweet painting. Not sure how you could let this one go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cindy. This is one of the series' I plan to work on soon. I have done another of one of the room keys. So will let you know when that comes about.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?