Saturday, January 8, 2011

Art-a-Day daily art creating challenge starts again (mini portrait #5)


Since the first of January I have been participating in a daily art challenge. The idea is to show up, trust the process and create something every day for the month of January. Masterpieces are not required, just enjoy the process. I took on a miniature portrait challenge  for myself, with a goal of creating a 5x5 inch portrait daily. Here is the 5th installment in my process. (To see this blog in it's entirety, click here).

Today: Had a little more fun today with the miniature portrait study. I found it more rewarding than mimicking a master painter's work (Gericault ... see next post). This study was based on a family photo of my Dad (though it's not an exact likeness). He had a mischievous look on his face. A kitten had curled up in the crook of his arm and fallen asleep. Unfortunately with only 25 square inches of real estate here, I didn't have room for the kitty. Perhaps the next painting...

While I was busy with the process, my friend came in and we were sharing family remembrances. She had just lost her father on New Year's day. With her coaxing, I continued to paint and we marveled at the bittersweet coincidence that I was painting my Father, while we talked about hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?