Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mini Portrait #6

It feels good to get back into the studio!
Emerging from an extended hiatus (last quarter of 2010), I'm finding new challenges and fresh ways to approach them. I'd let my process get a bit warped while preparing for October's featured artist show, and as a result, the push towards production compromised the purity of creativity and at a deep core level, dishonored my psyche and spirit. Even though I was happy with what I'd created, my spirit felt compromised by the process. I'm not sure if that makes sense to everyone, but it was a necessary experience for me to see it so clearly. I find I need a level of discipline, but if it's too structured I get a bit batty and all the fun drops out. (I hear the taskmaster voice, as it hovers overhead with a ruler snap, snap on the side of the easel...'geterdone girl', 'that's not good enough'!) So there is a fine balance.

I'm sure this sounds very self involved, but perhaps others can gain something too from these experiences.

Here's the next installment in my mini portrait challenge. It's based on my niece and the love she radiates while holding her new kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?