Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A divergent path today


A few days ago, I was thinking about this kid who sat behind me in 1st grade--he was missing an eye. Whenever the teacher would leave the room he would pull on my shirt sleeve until I would turn around, then he would plunge his eye socket open wide, forcing me to peer inside. I admit I was a bit curious, yet quite frightened. My reaction today would be quite different. I know I would placate both my younger self, and the odd little boy who thought he could frighten girls with his oddity. Yes it's a bit of a different painting for me. I've always thought art was a healing tool, so perhaps by painting this, I'm healing some little part of myself that was still bound up by this memory of the past.


creepy eye socket  ©Laura Gable 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?