Saturday, September 8, 2012

38 Signs of Americana

38 "Signs of Americana" 8x8 oil on board, copyright Laura Gable
My parents owned a small motel on the outskirts of Sidney, Nebraska where I grew up. The cleaning of the 6 rooms was part of our daily chores in the summer (and unfortunately fell on the shoulders of my Mother during the school year). We had this lovely old Americana sign that was so representative of 1950's style structures. This is actually it's modified look, after it was raised to accommodate the new elevated highway interchange that went in during the 70's. The rooms were outfitted with western style furniture, including genuine green vinyl horse head chairs. I've been told that they are quite collectible today. I hope to paint one of the chairs soon so you can get the rest of the story. My sister rescued one from the old place recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?