Thursday, August 2, 2012

1/100 and a "Sonnet for the Red Onion"

1 "Sonnet for the Red Onion", 8x8 oil painting on board, ©Laura Gable
Have you ever tried to find a small red onion? The grocery store didn't offer me any the day of my search, so this giant about 6 inches in diameter was chosen. I like the mild flavor, especially in Greek alads. But also a treat is to capture one in oil paint. The background was giving me fits and I was not happy with the harsh straight lines that delineate the flat from the upright planes. Ah so a perfect solution was found - to obliterate these planes altogether. Using these bright colors at full capacity with a few areas softened with the addition of white, it became a playful story for a studied still life.

And more about the 100 piece personal challenge in a few posts to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?